Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Step four: No deer for a month

This ones kind of old... I gave up beer as of Labour day. I still have wine with diner and I had two vodka redbulls the other night, but I digress. This is tough for me, cuz nobody loves beer more than me. I like all kinds of beer. I like it in the morning and at night. I love it when its cold and I love it only slightly less when its warm. The liquor laws here are non existent (if you aren't Muslim and even then they aren't practically applied from what I can see), it's smoking HOT here, there is a 24-hour-freezing-cold beer dispensing unit every 10 steps and the pricing makes it free for all intents and purposes. I was starting to abuse my privileges a bit and although its a hard place to do such a thing, for the sake of my body and in keeping with my latest mantra it was something I had to do. Swilling beers all day really doesn't fit with the "random kind things for the body" idea. My plan is to stick with it until I "admit" myself into the kickboxing camp October 1st (can't wait for submission grappling ;). I'm signed up and ready to go, I just need to get my passport issues worked out in Bangkok before then. They have a Yoga / nutritionist type person on staff and I plan to stay on the camp grounds to be a little bit more "immersed" (and to keep me away from -insert bad food / bad thing here-).

My only thought so far is that not drinking beer isn't very refreshing and is kind of boring :)

[EDITOR'S NOTE: This all started with an effort to do "Random Kind Things for My Body", which is here]

3 comments:

  1. Like most things that I find around me these days, it has roots in the early Simpsons:

    Homer and Marge prepare to retire for the evening:

    Homer: ...so they say I might have a problem. [finishes brushing his teeth, and polishes off a bottle of that wonderful Duff]
    Marge: Homey, do you ever drink alone?[reading from a pamphlet entitled, "Is Your Spouse a Souse?"]
    Homer: Does the Lord count as a person?
    Marge: No.
    Homer: Then yes.
    Marge: Do you need a beer to fall asleep?
    Homer: Thank you, that'd be nice.
    Marge: Do you ever hide beer around the house?
    Homer: Do I ever! [fetches a beer from its hiding place in the toilet tank, and takes a swig] Ahhhh.
    Marge: Do you ever drink to escape from reality.
    Homer: [looks in the mirror and imagines himself as a big muscular guy] [to "Can-Can"] Duhh, duh duh duh duh duuh duuh, duh duh duh duh duuh duuh, duh duh duh duh duh, duh duh duh duh...
    Marge: Homey, I'd like you to do something for me.
    Homer: You name it.
    Marge: I want you to give up beer for a month.
    Homer: You got it. No deer for a month.
    Marge: Did you say beer, or deer?
    Homer: .... Deer.
    Marge: Please, Homey, I know you can do this.
    Homer: All right, starting tomorrow no beer for a month.
    [puts the light out. We can hear the sound of a can popping open]
    Marge: What was that noise?
    Homer: I was saying, "Psssst, I love you."


    It was a classic episode.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh.
    and here i was trying to point out your mistake.
    doh.

    ReplyDelete