Monday, September 3, 2007

Step one: Surfing

So my first effort to do nice things for myself is a good old fashioned surf lesson in Bali. Nobody told me that surfing was hard? Jeesh. It was labour day and I think it was fitting, as surfing is very labourious which I immediately ascertained (I'm keen like that). Two foot waves might be right, maybe a bit optimistic. These things are the throw aways from the big waves that hit a bit farther off shore which leaves them mere babies (but still packing a surprising wallop) by the time they hit the throng of posers (me). The point on these is to learn how to get up and balance on the board which is more difficult than I might of thought (especially after doing it 30 or 40 times). It was a really good time. Laugh out loud good time. Its very satisfying when you do it right and you just have to laugh as its kind of a ludicrous feeling in a way. I had some problems though: the sun, as it's really hard to be in the equatorial sun without a hat or sunglasses for any length of time; the back, as you need a pretty flexible back which has never been my strong point; the stamina, back to the comment that surfing is hard; the stance, as I tend to lean too far back (from water skiing maybe?); and the mindset, as you need to let go of any thought that you had of surfing the waves that you see on TV (which I was happy to to do as soon as a 2 foot wave knocked me flying). Yes, I did a surfing lesson in Kuta Beach of all places ($30). Yes I paid more money to buy the digital photos ($10). Yes I am putting them here because I am pretty proud and yes I am not putting the ones of my picking my bathing suit out of my ass and falling down. So what?

I'm definitely going daily while I'm here. I feel goooood. Really good.


3 comments:

  1. Mike Reid you look supercool. I think this surfing thing may be your deliverance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. See I am kind of stuck here. I have to say something in reply to this, but I am not sure what exactly. If I don't then it looks like I agree.. if I say thanks then it means that I agree, which I feel I have to not do.

    a) I may look supercool for Mike, but I am definately below average coolness for the people here.

    b) I may looked ripped for Mike, but these shots don't show the 20lbs of beer that I am smuggling onto the beech in that shirt. Suckers! They'll never catch me.

    Put this under the "Thanks, but" label.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm watching my compliment die a slow and painful death...

    ReplyDelete