Monday, August 6, 2007

Minutia (Suvarnabhumi Airport, Bangkok, Thailand)

So it seems that Thailand got itself a new airport since the last time I was here. I think anyways. My memory for small details is still good after 10 years, but the big picture stuff I sometimes get confused with. This airport is COLD. I realize that I have been frozen since I left Toronto. Über AC is in vogue - all the cool airports are doing it (no pun intended - I think). Its vibrant and 24 hours. It has freezing cold metal seats that my drool likes to stick to as I try to finally grab some rest. I am a _mess_. I find that if you have one of the baggage carts and position your backpack "just so" you can sleep on it for almost 20 minutes in a row before the freezing cold metal bars make your tailbone ache and you need to get up and move around a bit.

Three funny things:

1. This seems so Japanese to me. I took my complimentary ANA in flight magazine, and found a list of 12 things to do to keep your mind off of cravings during long flights. #10 - Boast. My God, look at this illustration. I'm not sure what the guy is boasting about, but the other guy looks like he's just sat down for a colonoscopy ;) Boast... hahahahaha. Too funny.

2. Mr. Lee's cafe. There are a number of restaurants at the airport that are 24 hours. The food is cheap and good. I have to keep reminding myself that Tom Yum soup should cost a buck, instead of the ten that I would have paid if I was still in French Polynesia. Apparently, Mr. Lee's ears appear as "small Chinese liked eyes". I think I might start an "Engrish" category because trust me, this is just the beginning.

3. Thai Marlboro's. Not that I am a smoker, but if I was I would have to consider quiting. They have taken cigarette package warnings to a new level and the opening for a pack is roughly where this mouth would open if it were yours. I think its probably just that Thai people are more susceptible to smoking illnesses, as in North America you can only become impotent and harm your unborn baby.... right.

2 comments:

  1. That cigarette pack is disgusting. Seriously gross.

    ReplyDelete
  2. May i ask you a question? How did u get from suvarnabhumi to Bangkok? I am inclining to taxi booked in advance http://kiwitaxi.com/Thailand/Bangkok+Suvarnabhumi+Airport but maybe there are a lot of comfortable public transport ?

    ReplyDelete