Sunday, May 27, 2007

There is someone in my head, but its not me. (Kaeuhi -> Fakarava)

16 02 S
145 40 W

No wind. Straightened the leg and headed straight to the pass at Fakarava. At about 9:30pm there was enough wind to throw up some sail and we meandered along. Its actually nice to not have to be anywhere soon either in my head or in reality. Chris took over my shift at 10 and I laid down on the bow and stared at the moon for a couple of hours. Relived my Pink Floyd concert a la mp3 and had another one of those moments. I was almost in a trance watching the moon roll around. A bright moon to be sure, not great stars but still saw a couple of the shooting variety and the southern cross stood vigil as usual. Eventually Chris rolled in the sail above my head and we just blazed along at 0 knots on bare poles (counter current). Rocking good times (pun intended).

"All that you touch
All that you see
All that you taste
All that you feel
All that you love
All that you hate
All you distrust
All that you save
All that you give
All that you deal
All that you buy
beg, borrow or steal
All you create
All you destroy
All that you do
All that you say
All that you eat
everyone you meet
All that you slight
everyone you fight
All that is now
All that is gone
All that's to come

and everything under the sun is in tune
but the sun is eclipsed by the moon."

(Pink Floyd - Eclipse)

My new nighttime sailing hobby - clamping the tripod to the boat and letting the boat motion draw on the frame with bright celestial bodies (13 seconds of a 3/4 moon - f/8.0 ISO 50 - sounds counter intuitive to me, but I had a lot of problems with noise and over exposure and this achieved was I was looking for in the end).

It looks like I will be able to do it with bright stars, although the moon was still up and there was a lot of reflected light on everything around. I also didn't have the tripod setup, so some of the motion is mine for sure (which isn't the point). I have some different options on my film camera, but with my experience and without immediate LCD feedback it will be dumb luck if I get them to show. I have a vision of the stars in the big dipper, or the southern cross expressed on a black sheet as identical, smooth arcs. We shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment