Wednesday, May 30, 2007

No more Clos? Faka-Rava. (Fakarava, Tuomotos)

16 03.325 S
145 37.380 W

It seems like the more built up a place is, the less I have to say about it. I take less pictures too. Its not that the place turns ugly or some such thing, I think its just part of the wonder dissipates. Or its that I'm too busy stuffing my face at a restaurant to think about anything other than digestion.

Second biggest atoll, probably the island with the "newest" feel so far. Sealed roads, marked channel, massive concrete jetty etc.

Seemed to be another bank Holiday so there wasn't anything open. I had a fever, and the only cure was Internet. 5 mile hike to a resort, old Macintosh, emails about stuff that got dealt with 10 days earlier, unfriendly staff blah blah blah.

There is a really nice Snack (the Polynesian term for in between a Roulotte - chip wagon - and a full restaurant) along the way. We had lunch there several times over the last few days. Ate my favourite poisson cru thus far, served with a strawberry vinaigrette. Walter and I came here on the way to a artisan's shop and we watched six 1' rays, two 3' black tipped sharks, two 7' reef sharks (Lemon? Grey? where is a handy fish chart to make me look learn-ed when you need one?) with jack fish swimming around in about 3 feet of water. Although they all had clearly defined boundaries with each other, it had a very symbiotic appearance. Then the cynic in me piped up and characterized it as "mutually parasitic".

Another Walter kid shot. I have to make a point of saying that Walter isn't a pedophile. He does have a knack of capturing kid type moments though. She was fun, and I shared her excitement of the pretty fishies.

Shortbox landrover convertible - I want one. Apparently they also come with a V8 engine.

Really nice, gentle woman selling shells that she had sewn together in a little hut. She was very apologetic for not having any water in the midday heat, but would twist off a coconut and stick a straw in it for you as (I think she thought at least) a consolation prize.

No comments:

Post a Comment