Sunday, March 18, 2007

New Million dollar idea

It will be like a snorkel, except in times of surprise visitors that almost give you a heart attack it will morph into a retractable, underwater club.

Spent a day on a boat touring a number of the islands and snorkeling at each (its killing me that I am not diving, but my doctor says that until the ringing goes away I am not allowed. Almost there, I will be ready for the Marquesas! Who wants a blown ear drum 2 days before you set sail anyways.) The outlying islands themselves are pretty barren (at least the ones that I saw). Saw the requisite seals, sea lions, pelicans, boobies (all different sizes and three different colours) and faggots (who the hell names these birds anyways? Must have been some fun at the bird naming convention that day). [EDITORS NOTE - One of the more amusing language mix ups. Google tells me these birds are actually Frigates. Still if you see a boobie with blue feet you would be in the Galapagos, and probably a bit concerned]. Saw a hammerhead from the boat that was gone before we hit the water, swam along side a leopard ray for some time, and a dozen or so white tipped sharks. They lie on the bottom of the ocean like planes waiting for take off. Again - I don´t want to hear how good the diving is here if this is what I see on a couple of short snorkels where I can't even clear my ears and go down more than 7 feet.

I would say that this is the best snorkeling that have done. Its strange to be in what appear to be very tropical waters (parrot fish a plenty etc.), but with a very north Atlantic feeling current and ruggedness (and seals etc.). However, I never go snorkeling so I could be just inexperienced.

Capped the day off with a little bit of beech sitting. All in all a good day. The only problem as I see it is is the deep purple sunburn that I managed to get during the 40 min sit in the back of a pickup each way to the boat and the (Duh!) burn on my back and legs as II floated above the ocean for quite some time. I have quadrupled my water intake and sit carefully in the plastic lawn chair as I type this, slathered in some gooey substance that appears to be after sun that I purchased at a pharmacy.

No comments:

Post a Comment