Thursday, March 15, 2007

"I have called this principle, by which each slight variation, if useful, is preserved, by the term Natural Selection" (Golapagos Islands)

Been an interesting 24 hours. 12 of which was spent in Quito, 8 of which was spent in transit to Isla Santa Cruz and 4 of which has been spent getting a bed and wandering around the town. I have already: met Christopher (and his wife Elsie) by chance as he hunted down a replacement anchor, had beers, been promoted to Assistant Navigator (pretty prestigous! Mike - I really wish my life allowed me to visit with you and John before I left) and potentially been offered a slot on the Tonga to New Zealand (October) leg of his around the world journey. We shall see.

Chris is an opinionated yet thoughtful guy who likes to laugh. I think we will get along great.

Off to sort out some sort of tour. Its not really clear how long we will be here, but I am not really caring at this point. I don´t need to be on a plane for a goodly long time, there is nothing to reserve that is on the "critical path" to me getting on a boat and no bus to take that I don´t want to be on. Dovetail into the Pacific and forget about it.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, you are really making me miss Costa Rica. Glad to hear you're having such a great time.
    aj

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're doing ground breaking work on Intelligent Design there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, Laura Bush is on the island as we speak. I am sure there will be a "George W. Darwin Intelligent Design Centre" soon.

    ReplyDelete