Tuesday, June 5, 2007

My Back Hurts

I am embarrassed to say it, but I am absolutely dreading going back to sea. I find that it takes a few days to get back in the groove, but we have been getting these "false starts" almost by doing a bunch of night runs between islands. We have had some bad luck so far, here's hoping for a nice jaunt.

I'm going to miss long swaths of time that I can think trivial thoughts to death. Like the fact that I've moved exactly 30 times in my life into 25 different places. Yes, I counted and it took me almost all day to remember the locations of some of the more forgettable tenements (and I've live in some - like the place with a burned out car in the parking lot, or a 2 inch cockroach floating passed my mattress on the floor during a flood) , I moved back into a couple of places during school, and yes, I've moved into and out of my parents more than once (you want to make something of it?). I decided to define a "home" as a place that housed my home computer for at least a month, with an area that I slept in most of the time. This got me to thinking - I have never bought a bed in my life. I bought a futon mattress way back when - that sort of counts, other than it sucked. Everything else has been a hand me down or a loaner. Wait... I was gifted a new mattress once, but it met a terrible end one evening when I woke up with mice nibbling through it from the inside out. I have never owned a bed frame or a box spring. Aside from the odd charity and the odd hotel room, I've been sleeping on a variety of especially evil doing contraptions for 8 months so far. The inflatable mattress with a leak, the 4 and half foot long Ikea couch that I bought off an old client for $100, the couch that you sank a foot into, but was unevenly "worked in" and for the last 3 months - a six foot long, 4 inch foam bunk (which covers my length, but is only 2 feet wide and likes to move around alot). Its pathetic. It was never in my top 25 priorities apparently. Why is that? why is my back hurting? Not very Maslow'ian of me.

Mission number one, once I get a place to live of course, is a proper bed. I might stay in it for a month. I find myself fantasizing of Egyptian cotton. Its not sheep, its a thread count when I go to sleep (ever so clever Mike - clap..... clap..... clap).

Its time. I'm going to become an adult. That's it, aside from a reef tank, some proper cookware, some new clothes and maybe some new tech... and a car. But then that's IT. I don't want ANYTHING else in my life. Everyone get ready for round 2 of the Mike Reid virtual garage sale. oh - and a sailboat, skateboard and a house. but that's really really it.

No comments:

Post a Comment