Saturday, May 12, 2007

bbye

Tomorrow we are on our way to the Tuomotos via another Marquesas island and an additional anchorage on Nuku Hiva. Repairs are as good as they are going to get and its time to move on out of here.

Been enjoying the Internet glut, sitting on a boat with my feet up and catching up on the happenings. Still haven't read any news (which is surprising), I would have thought that that would have been the first thing I would do. It is a little bit unnerving though - surprising how quickly you fall back into being disappointed that there isn't any mail waiting for you. The good thing is that I am excited to hear from people, not fearful and peeking with one eye about what new tortures my inbox holds. The worst ones from soulless machines.

Read Garth's blog. Got hooked up against Google Analytics. One more example why Google will take over the world one day. I come from a place and time where people used to pay _massive_ amounts of money for a site license for such things. I know Google will be selling consulting on it and I am sure that an integration with a Google appliance or similiar enterprise will be in the works. (free, managed Google firewalls and gateways in exchange for anon usage information would be a nice fit - why not?). Someone from Valdivia (Chile) visited yesterday. Strange.

I am also reminded that tech ebbs and flows (but mostly flows) over your head once you swim to the bottom to see what that shiny thing is. I will have to start treading again at some point before I run out of air and the tech in me dies.

No more real Internet until Tahiti ("real" is subjective. 128k DSL serving a couple dozen yachts isn't what I would call blazing). Probably for the best. Back to not being able to check my email, but borrow someone else's one byte at a time over the SSB.

Have to keep reminding myself about where I am at.

If anyone has any info on taking a train from China to Europe, please drop me an email. Plans change ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment