Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Ocean II - The Return of The Ocean (Fatu Hiva -> Hiva Oa)

Short, overnight run to the next anchorage (42 miles). It was nice to have to actually slow down for once (to make sure that we had light when we reached the next island). Highlights of the trip included another complete power failure and when I woke the captain at 3am to let him know that we where on a probable collision course with 2 ships on the horizon. I swear, I was tracking these things for some time and I never noticed that they coincidentally shared the same bearing as our destination. I actually headed 5 degrees to starboard so that I could keep them in view off the port bow (I kept loosing them behind that pesky mast)... Nope - didn't register. Any way I calculated it, we were going to eventually collide. Chris politely informed me of the potential that these may actually not be ships. "Skips - We are on a collision course with our destination, we are all doomed. Whatever will we do??". Not my best sailing moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment